Saturday, December 10, 2005

Shades of grey

After not writing for weeks, I turn to this blog to procrastinate while I should be studying for finals. Hopefully these few minutes of reflection will revitalize me and enable me to study harder. Thanks Mr. Blog for a higher accounting grade!

I continue to be impressed with my classmates. They are not only accomplished in the business world, but in other spheres of life as well. Last week, one of my classmates gave a talk on art. Her story especially interested me because it dealt with the intersection of art and politics, a subject I've discussed many times with my art history friends. She traveled to the South Pacific and painted entrepreneurs who had been granted loans by a microfinance institution. What was the outcome of this project? In addition to garnering support for this particular microfinance organization, she alluded to a much more powerful effect that she hoped for her art to have. To paraphrase, she said that artists can present a subject in black and white so that we may ultimately understand the shades of grey. By using hyperbole that highlights a hidden aspect of reality, the artist reminds us that reality is more complex than we lead ourselves to believe. Art allows us to see those aspects of reality that are not immediately evident at first glance.

That was refreshing... I'm off to study!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cali MBA,

My name is Garrett Miller. I am writing to you in hopes that, if and or when you have any free time, you might offer me a little advise:

I know you do not know me, but I somehow stumbled upon your weblog via google, while looking to find out what life is like for an MBA at Stanford.

I am looking to apply for Fall '07, yet I come from a background that I would consider to be quite different than the average MBA candidate. I am currently a dancer/singer on broadway in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in New York City.

If you are interested and willing to offer some words of advice, I can be reached via email at garrett_b_miller@yahoo.com or cell phone: 856-912-1211.

If you are too busy, I completely understand, but if not, it would be great to share some more info with you and get some perspective from a fellow east-coaster...

Thank You in advance,
Garrett Miller

10:00 PM  
Blogger cali mba said...

Sorry Garrett - I have not checked this blog in many months. If you would still ike advice, let me know!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Vijeta said...

Quiet an interesting blog..I was just too much directionless after studying for a year now. I took an year off to prepare for M.B.A .And, from past few weeks I was trying to figure out why do I need to run after this course?! And, why everybody in this world, is frenzy about it?! So, today I googled to find out few of question..your blog quiet helped me exploring myself and I do concur with just points well made. Do keep writing.Now, I feel refreshed n can get back to my studies !

Vijeta

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home