Thursday, September 29, 2005

Public Speaking Seminar

I've begun my meteoric rise up the public speaking talent spectrum. Today I took a 3 hour public speaking seminar. I gave two speeches, both on the merits of living in New Jersey. In the first I was rather stiff, standing in one place, and shifting my eyes quickly but not making sustained eye contact with many people. In the second speech I exaggerated my movements, walked back and forth a bit, and utilized rhetorical questions and pauses during the speech. I feel like I've increased my personal effectiveness by at least 2%!

Main take aways:
It is okay to move a bit (this makes me seem less stiff)
Look at many people, but hold eye-contact for a few seconds
Speak slowly and utilize pauses
I can be humorous

1 Comments:

Blogger bhattathiri said...

Management is a systematic way of carrying out activities in any field of human effort.
Its task is to make people capable of joint performance, to make their weaknesses irrelevant, says the Management Guru Peter Drucker . It creates harmony in working together - equilibrium in thoughts and actions, goals and achievements, plans and performance, products and markets. It resolves situations of scarcity, be they in the physical, technical or human fields, through maximum utilization with the minimum available processes to achieve the goal. Lack of management causes disorder, confusion, wastage, delay, destruction and even depression. Managing men, money and materials in the best possible way, according to circumstances and environment, is the most important and essential factor for a successful management.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home