Thursday, September 15, 2005

Romanian Pres

Before today, I had never had the experience of watching a head of state speak from a distance of about ten feet. His excellency, Traian Băsescu, the Romanian president, spoke at school today and I showed up super early to get good seats. Turns out that I was so early that there were only half a dozen people in the room when I entered. Five students and an older looking man who was clearly Romanian standing around and awkwardly introducing themselves to each other. The Romanian man introduced himself to me and for a moment I thought that the President of Romania was one of the most nervous seeming people I'd ever met.

Of course, this was a case of mistaken identity and a silly assumption on my part. The room filled over capacity, and the real President entered with bodyguards, aids, photographers, and a standing ovation. He spoke about the need for international support to clean up the greater Black Sea area... to prevent the flow of drugs, arms, people, and terror funding. This is not a problem of just of Romania but he said it would come to haunt the rest of the EU and America if little action is taken.

Everyone clapped when a girl of about nine asked a question during the Q&A. Her's was more concise and intelligent than those of many of the adults.

Ahh... we have so much to learn from children and presidents!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home